Dear Marketing Professional:
I got this yesterday from a software client:
“We turned down a $20 Million offer to buy our company on the 1st…”
He went on to tell me about the negotiations. The minute his deal is signed… he’s set for life.
Last week a young punk bragged to me that he just hit his first $70,000 month – even though he’s in a niche singed with copycats, cannibals and sharks.
He’s 25. Half the age of his clients. Nipping at the heels of a million bucks a year.
This chap is especially fortunate to have exited the “slick technique of the week” conveyor that nearly all marketers ride until their children wheel them into hospice care.
This young man went into a business that thousands go into, but he spun it a different way, making it for all purposes NEW. This is why he…
- Commands 2-3X higher fees than his rivals
- Clients are more satisfied and stay longer
- Has a distinctive identity in his commoditized marketplace
- His message penetrates the clutter
- Executes great work without spinning his wheels
So… why does the first guy, who’s around 60, have lifetime security (and he’s not even the owner!) and why is a 25-year-old far ahead of most people twice his age?
Because: Both of them applied Star Principle and SIMPLIFY in their elegant, understated power – and jettisoned the siren song of the never-ending parade of “hacks.” (Which are usually band-aids for businesses that don’t stand a chance in the first place.)
If you embrace and enact these two principles – Being the #1 STAR player in a market growing 10% or more – and SIMPLIFYING your customer’s experience, delivering greater utility than all others, making it a JOY to use…
…then you don’t have to ‘nail’ the other myriad details of business (sales, marketing, optimization, management, finance, systems, processes, capital). You can be “good enough” and make enviable amounts of money.
You can stop polishing turds.
The shift is so subtle that some people with hundreds of millions, even billions of dollars, still think it was their management acumen and marketing chops that got them where they are… when in fact it was the market itself that propelled them to stardom. Because they created the right conditions, then got swept away in the magic carpet ride.
Star Principle remains the reason why AT&T, in spite of being the mountain of bureaucracy and incompetence that it is, still RULES large swaths of its market and makes billions of dollars effortlessly.
Ditto the cable companies and banks. (Have you attempted to physically walk into a bank branch and accomplish anything lately? How did it go? “Sorry, we can’t exchange your dollars for euros because Carol is out today. Can you check back next Tuesday?”)
Contrast this to how YOU bend over backward to serve customers. (And earn what you earn.)
My point is: These companies are hotbeds of apathy. They have abysmal customer service and incompetent employees. But in spite of that, because they are or were Star Businesses; because they are or were Simplifiers, they occupy the #1 spot in their market and it’s all but impossible for others to take them out.
I’m accenting the dark side for a moment to emphasize the raw power of the Star Principle. The wealth it can attain surpasses most peoples’ imagination.
It’s not about how conscientious you are, or even how competent you are. It’s not about your quality or customer service. It is HOW and WHERE you are positioned in your market that determines 80% of your success
If you’re tired of pushing that same old rock up the hill, this helps explain your reluctance and procrastination. Because at some level you know that drilling deeper in the same spot isn’t going to land you the gusher you want.
This is a principle. Not a technique. It will be just as true in the year 2200. And 2300.
If you ignore these two principles, you can have the best sales, marketing, managers, systems, processes, capital… you can l-o-v-e your customers and send them vibrations of happiness from the universe every morning from your Yoga mat…
But violate Star Principle and SIMPLIFY you’ll still fail.
At best you’ll lead a mediocre life playing defense. You’ll make an ordinary income, go to ordinary places, do ordinary things, and reassure yourself it’s really OK.
Are YOU tired of the treadmill yet?
A massive correction is coming circa 2025-2026… and the clock is ticking
Are you frittering your time and resources on things that will not survive the coming flood? Are you optimizing a business or approach that, deep down, you know is never going to pay off?
AT&T / Cable companies / banks prove that if you get Star right, you can survive ‘in spite of…’
There’s going to be some kind of “in spite of” dropping on you. Are you prepared for the “in spite ofs” ???
The marketing space is saturated with boys of summer who will gleefully empty your pockets and sell you cosmetically flawless, slender, curvy, lithe, sexy, nubile, brag-to-your-friends addictive tactics and techniques
…which you are forced to discard six months later (after you have spent 6X more money to figure out they’ve stopped working). Then you’re off to the next thing, and the next, and the next.
Most folks will go through five cycles of this between now and the crash, never accomplish anything, and get decimated.
Some people reading these words right now will be living in their car.
Will you be living in your car? Or will you be dining on the French Riviera – and buying assets at fire sale prices from those fleeing the wreckage of a bygone economy?
When you master the RIGHT things in business, you don’t have to re-master, re-learn, or re-hash.
Discover once, apply forever.
8 years ago (!!!) I organized the now legendary Star Seminar with Richard Koch. $7500 per head. 80 primaries in attendance. It wasn’t a marketing seminar so much as a strategic deep dive with one of the world’s eminent equity investors and consultants.
In 2014, Richard was worth $200 million. By 2022 he was worth $1.4 billion.
= 7X wealth increase in 8 years.
As a result of our seminar and teaching Star Principle to clients, many Planet Perry members have achieved superstar status:
- Bob Regnerus and Brandon Boyd transformed a poorly differentiated video business into FeedStories, a video communication powerhouse with enviable reputation, unique identity and processes. It became, for all practical purposes, a much more exciting and fun business, simultaneously easier to sell with longer client retention.
- Donny Wyatt sold Co-Construct, a home construction project management software, to a Private Equity firm for a handsome sum of money. For years he attracted home builders with Google ads and got them on a weekly webinar and sold them his software one at a time.
- Mark McShurley of RoofSimple is heir apparent to the roofing industry. RoofSimple attracts clients like crazy in 95/5 fashion. He transformed a “mundane” roofing business into a firm that has 20 times the Google reviews of every competitor in his market. He built a very specific system for that. He calls it “Review Velocity,” a meticulously crafted engine that did NOT require Venture Capital or angel investors or “If you build it, they will come.” Mark’s balls are not nailed to the office wall of some VC in Palo Alto. He and his partner own the company free and clear. He is expanding from the DC area to nationwide as we speak. He is transforming it into something far better than the sleazy fleabag it largely is today.
- Casey Graham experienced a radical transformation when I helped him see that a tiny, overlooked “business inside his existing business” had vastly greater potential than the business he was pouring his life into. He sold The Rocket Company for life changing money. Then, after a hiatus, he’s back… with a new venture, Gravy, which is also growing at a tremendous pace.
- Ed Harycki sold Swift Capital to PayPal for an undisclosed, LARGE sum of money. They would have NEVER bought any of his competitors because none of them were in a business that was desirable in the first place. The key was his re-invention of loans. Nearly every online business on the planet has now seen “Loan Builder.” Ed’s success instantly minted a dozen millionaires.
- Because Tom Donald SIMPLIFIED music instruction, the experience of having a music lesson is night-and-day compared to the old. It’s a wonderful business to own and lead. Tom’s live, in-person music instruction business, London Contemporary School of Piano, was assaulted by COVID-19. Within weeks he pivoted online, exploding onto the scene and hitting record numbers. He now occupies a singular space in the music business, commanding much higher fees and attaining a cult following.
- Ben Moskel brings previously impossible-to-obtain real estate information to New York real estate investors, planting his flag in a unique space with no direct competition. His innovation is creating a new sub-industry that was impossible before he came along. Investment groups are hunting him down.
- Jeff and Beth McCord are king and queen of the Enneagram space, having parlayed their “most popular profile test” early advantage into complete domination of a large subset, creating an economic marketplace and tight culture. They transformed the Enneagram from a geeky personality tool to a vibrant community where coaches can make a satisfying living doing what they love.
- Rob Koebke is both serial entrepreneur spanning multiple industries and key strategist in a Private Equity firm. He applies Fractal Star Principle to every project. This has issued a string of successes and eliminated 70-90% of dead ends.
- Megan Macedo Proposition Simplified her own story, appointing herself the “Brené Brown of Marketing” and delivering priceless contributions to the entrepreneur community. This propelled her from being a sort of copywriter / webmaster / marketing advisor to literally becoming a new breed of thought leader that defies all categorization.
- Tim Francis started Great Assistant, a company that secures Virtual Assistants exclusively for entrepreneurs, placing himself in a Category of One. His business doesn’t resemble any other recruiting company you’ve ever seen. Every day he experiences navigating uncharted waters while making a comfortable income and not feeling threatened by competition.
- Ten years ago I showed Michael Strickland of Ship-A-Car-Direct what business he could really be in if he positioned himself properly. The business he started, as originally defined, would have NEVER been as exciting or lucrative as the business we invented. Today he has 6,000 five-star reviews and a position that is unassailable. Michael could have not seized the opportunity and been in the commodity race-to-the-bottom affiliate slug-out that 99% of the rest of the car shipping business was in and is still in. He innovated and the rest were driven into extinction.
- Scott Marlow built Themeco into one of the biggest WordPress plugins in the world. He then built a web services firm with unsurpassed responsiveness and “I can’t believe how good this is” client satisfaction. On the surface he’s in a heavily commoditized industry with great price sensitivity, but the terms with which he deals with customers are ENTIRELY different from what used to be. Scot enjoys the excitement of a New Frontier.
- Vladimir Zakharov transformed himself into the #1 Feng Shui consultant in Russia
- EJ Tahir built one of the most successful orthodontic practices in the Midwest United States – while NEVER having to “chase referral sources” and bow and scrape to other dentists, as nearly all other orthodontists do.
- James Siwek and his partners sold their software company and parachuted out with life-altering money
- Shanyn Stewart has transcended 99% of tax accounting firms, commanding tremendous fees and an enviable clientele. Today she personally doesn’t do 90% of the stuff that most accountants or financial advisors do. She has created a space where she can step into a client meeting, walk on water, perform magic and get paid handsomely for it.
- Tony DeQuick commands the top of the radiator market for high-performance automobiles. He is immune to the “made in China” downward price pressure.
- Nancy Slessenger founded a recruiting firm sporting such thorough hiring processes that she boldly makes guarantees that no other cross-industry recruiter in the world can match. The results and satisfaction she gets are utterly unlike the dreary existence most recruiters suffer through.
SIMPLIFYING inherently achieves this. It puts everyone who masters it in new businesses – former paradigms swept away, old perceptions become new. Michael Strickland woke up in a new business very different from the old one in the space of six months.
RESET YOUR EXPECTATIONS. I am asking you to make an agreement with me: Upon entering this course, you will set aside your notions of “just making my biz a little better” and consider the possibility of doing something entirely new. A likely outcome is that you will still have many of the same customers and tools but something you’ve overlooked suddenly moves from minor focus to major focus – magnetically attracting more customers and money.
A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE HANGING ON TO…. outdated definitions of your business; believing “if I could just get / be a little better, a little more efficient…” and it’s not true.
Members of Advanced Mastery Network got access to the Star Seminar videos upon joining AMN. Trey Rivera exclaimed: “Perry, those videos are stellar!” Trey, as a result, is creating a business that has zero competition and is more energizing and stimulating to run than any he’s previously been in.
These videos are stunning. All should watch them 3-4 times. (Few will. Most are so busy pursuing the latest hit of crack, they can’t be bothered to examine the genuine article.)
But for those ready to dispense with sophomore advice and go for the real stuff, I offer access to Richard’s legendary videos… together with new, state of the art video trainings where I give you the tools and shortcuts I’ve used to propel so many to genuine wealth, luxury lifestyles and semi-stardom… while shedding the shackles of previous mindsets and ways people previously defined their businesses and careers.
In this updated course for Star Principle, I share the latest Star Principle / SIMPLIFY methods, gathered from my experience in the trenches with hundreds of entrepreneurs in New Renaissance Club, Roundtable, Advanced Mastery Network and Private Clients.
I call it Star Principle: Activate.
You will discover:
- How to create a new market “out of thin air” in as little as hours to no more than a few weeks of pleasant, engaging exploration.
- How you can approach the daunting prospect of radically simplifying the customer experience – and a process by which you can crawl, then walk, then run – without borrowing money or making a pact with Satan
- Why (and how) 75-90% of companies can build impressive assets WITH MOATS without a second mortgage, or giving away half your company to angel investors, private equity groups or Venture Capitalists.
- An “X-Ray” for identifying exactly what your customers want to buy; their bleeding neck; their unscratched itch; and as a result they come to you on very different terms – your terms – paying you both more money and more respect.
- How to assess the growth potential of markets without actual stats or hiring Harvard MBAs – and an exhaustive list of signals that give you GREEN / YELLOW / RED LIGHTS for moving forward. Life as a serial entrepreneur is so much more fun when the odds of failure get cut in half!
- An insidious way angel investors, private equity groups and venture capitalists seduce fine entrepreneurs into death traps – and the warning signs
- A double-deep-dive on SIMPLIFYING that will grant you the ability to recognize it any time, anywhere– and learn from it on-the-go much the same way “Marketing Maniacs” notice great marketers everywhere they go. This is a recipe for a business life that’s far more interesting and less frustrating.
If you’ve been in Planet Perry for a while, you’ve heard me talk about Star Principle and Simplify. I hope you’ve read Richard’s books as well. This will go beyond that – after years of working with clients and helping them make hundreds of millions of dollars I’ve simplified SIMPLIFY to a degree previously unachieved.
After these sessions you will recognize these two principles everywhere you look. You’ll have unequaled ability to act on this information.
This affects not only your core business but also where you invest your money outside your business. My kids, ages 11-25, even have a private chat group where they discuss Star investments with their stock portfolios. My kids understand 80/20 AND Star Principle AND Simplify.
I will take you through brand new exercises that serve as new windows of opportunity, new doors you can step through.
If you’ve purchased Rosetta Stone, Rosetta Stone Activate, New Renaissance membership, Roundtable or any of my other programs – even if you already own the Star videos – this will advance your game. Only members of Advanced Mastery Network likely already have this material under their belts. All others should join. You should join now because seconds after your payment is made, you’ll have access to Richard’s spectacular videos.
Star Principle: Activate includes:
- Three live training sessions with me, starting Thursday, July 20 @ 11AM Eastern (sessions will be recorded and replays will be posted in the Members Area)
- Streaming access to the Star Principle Essentials videos (includes MP3 downloads)
- PDF transcript of the Star Principle Essentials sessions